How Long Is the Healing Process After Wisdom Tooth Removal?
Wisdom tooth removal may be necessary when molars in the back of the mouth cause issues like pain or overcrowding. Though surgery is relatively quick, the healing process ranges anywhere from a few days to several weeks.
Our professionals at Urgent Family Dentistry provide a more accurate estimate for wisdom tooth removal recovery during a consultation in Plano, TX. Call now to book an appointment — we're dedicated to educating patients about the entire process, from pre-operative instructions to post-surgical care.
What's involved in a tooth extraction?
Sometimes, surgery is beneficial if your wisdom teeth are impacted or fail to grow in properly. Our dentists will take x-rays of your mouth and jaw to determine which teeth need to be removed and how many.
Every extraction differs depending on how the teeth are positioned and whether they have erupted out of the gumline. Urgent Family Dentistry begins the process with local anesthesia so patients stay comfortable throughout the procedure. Sedation dentistry is also available if needed.
After numbing the area, our experts use specialized tools to remove the wisdom teeth and then suture the extraction sites closed. Once complete, patients receive post-operative instructions to help with recovery.
Side effects to expect after wisdom tooth removal
Swelling and discomfort are normal side effects in the days following wisdom tooth extraction. Some bleeding is common but not excessive. Patients should also be aware of the possibility of a dry socket, which occurs when a blood clot fails to properly form in the extraction site or becomes dislodged. This rare but serious complication should be treated by our dentists as soon as possible. Signs of a dry socket include severe pain and an unpleasant taste in the mouth.
How long is wisdom tooth removal recovery?
For most people, healing takes approximately one to two weeks. Urgent Family Dentistry can provide medications and post-operative instructions so patients in Plano, TX get the best possible results. Remember to keep the extraction area clean and attend any follow-up appointments as recommended. Your timeline for recovery may change based on these factors:
- Age and lifestyle habits
- Overall health prior to surgery
- The number of wisdom teeth removed
- Whether any complications arose during the procedure
How to speed up the healing process
There are many ways to promote natural healing and reduce discomfort. Here's what our dentists recommend:
- Take your prescribed medications: Antibiotics and pain relievers prevent infection and make recovery more comfortable.
- Apply a cool compress to the side of your face: Swelling and inflammation are common after wisdom tooth extraction. Use a clean, covered ice pack as a compress.
- Stick to soft meals: Soft foods like mashed potatoes or applesauce cause less pain since they don't need to be chewed.
- Avoid using a straw: Sucking liquid through a straw can dislodge a blood clot and cause dry socket.
- Keep the extraction area clean: Gently rinse your mouth with salt water or a mild antiseptic solution after meals.
A seamless recovery from wisdom tooth removal
Wisdom tooth removal recovery doesn't have to be a painful or lengthy process. Urgent Family Dentistry can help you return to your normal routine as quickly and safely as possible. Call us today for more information or to schedule an appointment in Plano, TX. We take good care of your wisdom teeth so that you can get back to smiling with confidence.